Growing up, you’ve probably heard the quote – “shoot for the moon and even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” Sounds cute, right? And sometimes it’s true, but not when it comes to New Year’s Resolutions.
When it comes to lofty, all-or-nothing resolutions that leave no wiggle room, they’re designed to fail; it’s in the science of human behavior. When resolutions are too extreme, we struggle to stick to them and become discouraged at every “failure” and eventually give up.
A smarter way to goal-set involves committing to actions that lead up to a larger goal. Incremental changes that we can deem as daily or weekly “wins” increase self-esteem and compound over time. Little by little, we’ll reach that big goal by the time 2019 is over!
We’ve mapped out six common New Year’s Resolutions that needed a reality check and gave them a smarter spin so that you can achieve ‘em.
- SLEEP – Instead of vowing to get more ZZZs by sleeping for at least 8 hours per day, try tracking your sleep schedule.This can be done with an app or a simply a notepad at your bed! Start off by mapping out the hours you naturally sleep, and tracking how you feel when you awake each day. Try increasing your time little by little, and eventually work up to that full 8 hours (or more!).
- GET IN SHAPE – Is your New Year’s Resolutions to get in shape? How about starting out with planking twice per day, for 1 minute each? Holding the plank position takes strength and endurance in your abs, back, and core. With a strong core as your foundation, using proper form in the gym will come with more ease, laddering up to your larger goal of getting in shape or toning up.
- HYDRATION– Promising to drink more water in the New Year? As easy as that may sound, sometimes it’s difficult for us to remember to drink enough water once our day kicks off. Stocking your house with hydration will make it easier for when you’re heading out for the day. We recommend a CORE water subscription where you can choose your delivery cadence on what works for you. You have the option to get your delivery every 7, 14, 30, or 60 days. You’ll never be without your #perfectlybalanced hydration.
- MEAL PREP – If your goal is to become the king or queen of meal prep, we’ve totally been there. It’s a great habit that not only makes your meals healthier, but saves you money. But there’s a kicker – it can be a time suck. How about committing to 3 lunches per week to take to work? Allowing yourself the option of take-out twice a week can be a realistic helping hand. Keep in mind that a yogurt, RXbar, and an almond butter packet can be the perfect addition to a prepped meal, and can help simplify the meals you’re prepping. Meal prepping doesn’t need to be a daunting task, you just gotta get in the swing of things.
- AVOID SUGAR – It’s 2019 and everybody seems to want to cut back on sugar, but instead of trying to ignore your sweet tooth altogether, try to focus on the healthier options so you don’t go crazy! Some of our favorites include: Core Organic (obviously), Primal Kitchen bars, Skinny Dipped almonds, and Hu dark chocolate. Healthy indulgences are key to have on hand when you’re craving something sweet on a daily basis. You can still meet your goals with balance!
- SELF CARE – If your goal is to prioritize self-care in the new year, we’re all about it! But this lofty statement can mean something different for everyone and can often change based on how you’re feeling on a specific day or week. Start by setting aside 45 minutes per day where you are mindfully participating in an activity that you know will benefit you, i.e. meditation, yoga, reading, a bath, time off of your phone…. whatever works for you! Instagram can make us feel like we all need to be self-care gurus in order to live a healthy life, but often times small changes can make profound impacts in our lives.
We’d love to hear from you – what are some life hacks you turn to when it comes to achieving those seemingly out of reach goals? Oh, and happy new year – let’s do this!